Saturday 17 September 2016

God Comes First

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Choices
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Choices
 
 
 
There are many things we can learn from today’s verse, which describes John’s initial reaction to seeing Jesus in all His glory.

As husband and father, I’ve seen a lot of amazing sights over the course of my life. The sight of my bride walking down the aisle, the births of all three of my children, and especially the births of my six grandchildren. But as great and wonderful as those experiences were, none of them caused me to fall to the ground like a dead man!

Yet when John saw Jesus, it was too much for his mind… too much for his body… to bear. And as a result, he crumbled like a leaf at the feet of Jesus.

Today I want to ask you, what is your initial reaction to the Lord Jesus Christ in your life?

In Galatians 2:20, Paul says, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.” Is this the cry of your heart today? Because Jesus can’t take His rightful place as Lord of your life until you die to yourself… until self is conquered and laid at the feet of Jesus, dead.

Are there areas in your life that you haven’t died to… that you haven’t truly laid at the feet of Jesus? I would encourage you to pray Psalm 139:23-24 today, “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous (or wicked) way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!”

It’s my hope that you will begin to truly give up control of every area of your life to Christ today… so He will lead you in the everlasting way.
 
Jesus can’t take his rightful place as Lord of your life
until you truly die to yourself.

God Comes First

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no? But he perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye me? Shew me a penny. Whose image and superscription hath it? They answered and said, Caesar’s. And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar’s, and unto God the things which be God’s.”
Luke 20:22–25
When Jesus’ enemies were trying to trap Him into giving them a reason to turn Him over to the Roman authorities as a traitor, they focused on the responsibilities of citizens and subjects of the Roman Empire, particularly regarding paying taxes. If Jesus supported paying the tribute, the Jewish patriots would turn against Him; if, on the other hand, He said not to pay, the Romans would be outraged. Jesus avoided the trap by pointing out that we have responsibilities to both civil government and to God—and that God always must come first.
An American preacher named Samuel Davies visited England prior to the Revolutionary War. He visited with notable religious leaders, including the Wesley brothers, and was even invited to preach before King George III. During the message, it is said that the king began talking to his wife about something Davies had said. The bold preacher stopped his message and then said, “When the lion roars, the beasts of the forest tremble; when Jehovah speaks, let the kings of the earth keep silence before him.”
It is not possible for human authorities to change what God has decreed, although that does not stop them from trying. And it is not within the realm of human authority, which is appointed by God, to compel people to go against God’s law. We do have a responsibility to “render unto Caesar” but it is subordinate to our duty to “render to God.” It is never right to violate His commands, no matter what a human government may say.
Today’s Growth Principle: 
While we fulfill all of the responsibilities of life, including citizenship, we must never forget that God comes first.


No comments:

Post a Comment