Wednesday 8 February 2017

Overcoming Criticism

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Lifeworks
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
All Things New
 
 
 
For a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.

--1 Corinthians 16:9

There are dozens of preachers today who claim that making a decision to follow Christ will mean that your life will be easier…or that you’ll be materially or monetarily blessed because you’re a Christian.

Well, I’m going to shoot straight with you. While the Christian life is full of God’s blessings, it’s also full of opposition. And many people become disillusioned when they encounter trials and difficulties as they walk with Christ.

If you attempt to do something in particular for the glory of God, you will discover opposition and confrontation. 

In fact, as believers, we’re called to a life that will be filled with conflict. Because when the people of God attempt to lead and do great things in His name, the forces of evil will attempt to stop it by discouraging us. The devil is a liar, a murderer, an accuser of the brethren, and a destroyer! He will oppose you!

Perhaps today you’d admit that you’re a little discouraged by how difficult the Christian life can be. If so, I want to offer you a word of encouragement: The opposition you face is actually a sure sign that you’re doing something right! Because if the devil leaves you alone, that means you must not be worth trying to discourage!

When you set out to do something great and glorious for God, expect opposition. And take heart with these words from Romans 8:31, “If God is for us, who can be against us?”

If the Devil is on your case, it’s a sign you’re doing something right!

Overcoming Criticism

by Dr. Paul Chappell
Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you. For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. We are fools for Christ’s sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.”
1 Corinthians 4:8–10

I heard about an elderly concert pianist who had been touring and playing with leading orchestras around the world for decades. As he waited in the dressing room before a performance, another pianist who was sharing the program with him entered. He hurried over to the famed musician and said, “You probably don’t remember me, but some years ago I played for you and when I was finished, I asked if you thought I had what it took to become a concert pianist. You told me I didn’t, but I kept on anyway, and here I am.” The older man responded, “I told everyone who auditioned for me that they didn’t have what it took. I knew the ones who did have what it took wouldn’t stop!”
Although I don’t recommend discouragement as a great mentoring tool, it is true that anyone who has accomplished anything meaningful and lasting has had to face and overcome criticism and condemnation from others. This is true in the world, and it is true in God’s work as well. While it would be nice to think that others would recognize the effort and motivation in laboring for the Lord, often that is not the case. The reality is that criticism doesn’t matter. We should consider what critics have to say, and make any needed changes. But we should never allow critics to determine our direction or our attitude as we continue on God’s path.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
We must not allow critics and naysayers to divert us from the path God has called us to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment