Sunday 27 May 2018

The Importance of Listening to God

The Importance of Listening to God

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.”
Proverbs 1:24–27

I read the following account from a pastor about a conversation he witnessed between a father and his first grade son.
Dad: “Max! Why didn’t you answer me when I called you?”
Max: “I didn’t hear you, Dad.”
Dad: “What do you mean you didn’t hear me?” Max did not respond.
Dad: “How many times didn’t you hear me?”
Max: “I don’t know, maybe three or four times.”
The Bible is called “the Word of God” for a reason: “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). God speaks to us through His Word, telling us what He wants us to hear and what we need to know. Our responsibility is to listen and not ignore what God tells us to do. Saying that we do not hear His voice does not excuse us from the necessity of obedience. Instead, we should quickly and promptly do whatever God commands.
Listening to God is primarily a matter of the heart. If we love Him as we should, we will not feel like we are being treated badly when we are told to do or not do a particular thing. “While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation” (Hebrews 3:15). If we do not listen to what God says and respond, we have no reason to expect that we will escape the consequences of disobedience.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
A soft heart toward God is eager and ready to hear His Word and obey what it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment