Saturday 12 January 2019

Defeating depression

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Eternity Now
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Songs of Courage
 
 
 
"Elijah was a man with a nature like ours."

--James 5:17

Have you ever felt depressed? Everyone experiences some form of depression, whether it’s just the moody blues, a complete chemical or clinical depression, or something in between.

It might surprise you to know that some very important people in the Bible dealt with depression. Moses, Jonah, and the prophet Elijah all experienced severe disappointment, disillusionment, and even depression.

In the book of Numbers, you can read how Moses, in a fit of depression, prayed that he would die. Elijah did the same.

Even great people and people who are spiritually strong can deal with emotional problems. James 5:17 tells us Elijah had the same feelings and emotions that we all do.

So if you are experiencing emotional problems like depression, don’t think that you are alone. Don’t believe the lie that you aren’t fit to be God’s child. God wants to help you with your emotional struggles. And His Word will give you the strength and power to deal with it.
 
READ ABOUT MOSES, ELIJAH, OR JONAH AND DISCOVER HOW GOD CAN USE PEOPLE WITH EMOTIONAL STRUGGLES.
Friday, January 11, 2019

Continuing the Work of Jesus

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.”
John 14:10–12
There is a beautiful story that tells of a group of German students who volunteered to go to England not long after the end of the Second World War. In an effort to help heal the rift between the two nations, they planned to help restore an English cathedral that had been greatly damaged by German bombs during the Blitz. One of the items they worked on most was a statue of Jesus with His arms spread wide that bore the inscription, “Come unto Me.” They were able to repair most of the damage, but they had great difficulty with the hands. After talking it over with the church officials, they decided to leave the hands off the statue, and change the inscription to read, “Christ has no hands but ours.”
Jesus perfectly fulfilled the will and purpose of His Father during His life on earth. The night before He went to the cross, Jesus prayed, “I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do” (John 17:4). Though Jesus did all that was planned for Him, it was not all that would ever need to be done. So He left His work for us to finish. God certainly does not need our help or our talents to make up anything He lacks, but He has chosen to let us be part of His plan for our world.
Today’s Growth Principle: 
No one else can do exactly what you can do for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment