Sunday 9 June 2019

Walking in Humility

Walking in Humility

Saturday, June 08, 2019

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?”
Micah 6:6–8
It’s easy for us to fall into the snare of pride, because it makes us feel really good about ourselves—at least in the short term. We are happy when people praise us and build us up, and we are discouraged when they do not. But this life is not about us. God has a purpose and plan for us to bring glory to Him rather than to ourselves. The difference between pride and humility is a difference of focus. Do we truly trust God’s promises and provision, or do we live as if we are the ones doing the work?
Andrew Murray wrote, “Humility is perfect quietness of heart. It is for me to have no trouble; never to be fretted or vexed or irritated or sore or disappointed. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me and when I am blamed or despised. It is to have a blessed home in the Lord where I can go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret and be at peace as in a deep sea of calmness when all around is trouble. It is the fruit of the Lord Jesus Christ’s redemptive work on Calvary’s cross, manifested in those of His own who are definitely subject to the Holy Spirit.”
Today's Growth Principle: 
If we want to please God with our lives, we must put away pride in all its forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment