Thursday 18 July 2019

How to honor dishonorable parents

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Beyond Imagination
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Straight Up
 
 
 
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.”
--Exodus 20:12
When it comes to honoring our parents, people often ask me, “What does honoring my parents look like if they don’t deserve honor? What if they abused me? What does honoring my parents look like when my mom and dad weren’t an example of godly parenting?”
Whenever I’m confronted with a situation like this where parents and children have become adversaries, I always go to what Jesus said in Matthew 5:44: “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
For better or for worse, God gave you the parents that you have and the home in which you were raised. So could it be that God wants to use you to show his grace and love to your mom and dad?
I’ve known enough people through the years to know that one of the most powerful and liberating things you can do as a wounded child is to forgive your parents.
That’s why, if you’re the child of a parent who sinned against you in some way, I want to encourage you to make the decision today to forgive them. And keep making the decision to forgive them! Ask God to give you the grace to forgive and love your parents, and he will help you do it.
Now, does forgiving your parents mean that you’re expected to become their best friend? No, not necessarily, although I have seen many parents and children really become friends again once unforgiveness was released.
All I would encourage you to do today is to take that first step. Maybe it means picking up the phone and simply calling your mom or dad. Maybe it means writing them a letter or an email. 
Extend a hand of forgiveness in some way today, and believe me, God will give you the grace and strength you need to take that next step.
COULD IT BE THAT GOD WANTS TO USE YOU TO SHOW HIS GRACE AND LOVE TO YOUR MOM AND DAD?


Unfailing Comfort

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”
Psalm 23:4-6
One of the realities of life is sorrow. All of us are confronted by loss, pain, disappointment, heartbreak, and despair. It is a wonderful blessing to have people around us to encourage us and pray for us and support us during the times of sorrow. But even if we have that human comfort, there is a far greater comfort available to us as children of God. And this source of comfort never fails when we need it. “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever” (John 14:16).
There is never a day when we are alone or forsaken. There may be days when we feel that way, but it is never reality. God is always with us. The Holy Spirit comes into our lives when we are saved, and He does not leave. He is the Comforter we can count on in distress. God's comfort is based on His great love for us. Just as a shepherd would do whatever was necessary to care for his sheep, God will bring us help when we need it the most. Charles Spurgeon said, “He has loved thee long; He has loved thee well; He loved thee ever; and He still shall love thee. Surely He is the person to comfort thee, because He loves. Admit Him, then, to your heart, O Christian that He may comfort you in your distress.”
Today's Growth Principle: 
God never turns away a hurting heart that runs to Him for comfort in times of sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment