Saturday 24 February 2018

The Importance of Friendship

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIES Play Today's Broadcast
Lifeworks
 
CURRENT TV SERIES Play Today's Broadcast
Angels
 
 
 
The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way.

--Psalm 37:23

As a pastor, one of the questions I’m asked most often is, “How do I know that I’m hearing from God?” And that’s a very important question. You and I need God’s guidance; we need the peace that comes from knowing that we are hearing his thoughts on life’s important choices.

Now, of course, when we talk about making choices, we’re not talking about the kind of orange juice or soap to buy. We’re talking about choices that relate to doing the will of God, obeying him, following him, and being used of God.

And the Lord assures us in Scripture that he is more than just interested in our choices… he’s ordering our steps! You can know where to live, whom to marry, which job to accept, whether you should enter full-time ministry, and your role in the body of Christ.

If you want to hear from God, start each day by completely yielding to him. Say, “Lord, my life is yours. Live through me, guide me, speak to me, and show me the way.” If you do that, you can trust that he will guide you. You don’t know what each day will hold, but he does.

Put the Holy Spirit in charge. Follow the steps he lays out for you. God is in control!

IF YOU WANT TO HEAR FROM GOD, START EACH DAY BY COMPLETELY YIELDING TO HIM.

The Importance of Friendship

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.”
Ecclesiastes 4:9–12

Following his success at Kansas, UCLA hired Franklin “Pepper” Rodgers to be their head football coach in 1971. The season started with four straight losses, and alumni and fans loudly expressed their displeasure with the new leader. Later, Rodgers looked back on that painful season, which ended with only two wins and a last place finish in their conference. “My dog was my only true friend, he wrote. “I told my wife that every man needs at least two good friends. She bought me another dog.”
There are tough times in everyone’s life, and one of the things that make it easier for us to handle difficult days is the presence of a true friend. Much of the pain we experience comes not just from the circumstances, but from the feeling that no one else really knows or cares what we are going through. The Apostle Paul knew this feeling. Late in his life looking back under the direction of the Holy Spirit he wrote to Timothy, “At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge” (2 Timothy 4:16).
While we cannot control whether we have a friend in moments of crisis (though certainly there are things we can do to establish and strengthen friendships), we can control whether we are a true friend to those who are hurting.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
Reach out today to someone who is going through a hard time and offer them comfort and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment