Sunday 10 March 2013

A Priceless Diamond



According to the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, in the constellation Centaurus, there is a white dwarf star that's been discovered to have a 1,864 mile-wide core of diamond. It's been calculated to weigh 2.27 thousand trillion tons. Or, 10 billion, trillion, trillion carats – that's a 1 followed by 34 zeros!
The Bible, however, declares that there are four things of greater value than even a diamond of this magnitude.
One is wisdom. Proverbs 8:11, "For wisdom is better than rubies."
Another is a good name. Proverbs 22:1, "A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches."
The third is God's ways. Psalm 19:10, "More to be desired are they than gold, yes, much fine gold."
The fourth is a virtuous wife and mother. Proverbs 31:10, "Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies." In the following verses, Solomon described her as a good wife (verses 11 and 12), a good woman (verses 13 – 27), and a good mother (verse 28).
A Spanish proverb says, "An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest." Abraham Lincoln stated, "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."
Rudyard Kipling wrote about how a mother's love transcends all known limits:
"If I were hanged on the highest hill,
I know whose love would follow me still.
If I were drowned in the deepest sea,
I know whose tears would come down to me.
If I were damned of body and soul,
I know whose prayers would make me whole."
A Scout master noticed a young camper having trouble with his cooking equipment. "What's the matter son," he asked, "did you forget something?" "Yes, Sir," replied the boy, "My mother."
Dave Arnold, Pastor
Gulf Coast Worship Center
New Port Richey, Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment