Wednesday 23 October 2013

How would you like to be remembered digitally?

By Francis J. Kong

I post something positive every day in all of my Facebook pages. I want people to go to their workplaces refreshed and rejuvenated; a small positive thought can hopefully brighten their day.
Years ago, Facebook didn’t exist, and business organizations relied on traditional advertising to get their messages across to their audience. Years ago, we wouldn’t even be having this discourse. Today, many business organizations recognize the power of social network platforms and the truth that ignorance of this power or of such platforms could mean loss of business opportunities; worse, it becomes a sure path to obsolescence and irrelevance. Face time and human encounter give us rich experiences that technology can’t. But technology is so pervasive, we can’t avoid it anymore.
Posting a Facebook status message or micro-blogging in Twitter may look easy, but this is where most people are mistaken. Words are powerful. Just because they come in digital form doesn’t mean they mean less. That’s why I’m careful with what I post. I use the digital space to share my thoughts with the objective and hope of inspiring people to become better.
You’ve probably heard the statement, “Content is king.” This is so true. But others over-express in their posts. In Instagram, there are people who take pictures of almost everything. And some people use digital platforms to cuss, curse, post obscene contents or just exhibit rudeness without even thinking about the repercussions. They don’t understand that they leave permanent digital footprints that could come back to bite (or kick) them later. There are young people who showcase the tattoos all over their body, who proudly pose while giving the middle finger and who use expletives all over social networking sites. These careless antics can actually get them in trouble when, say, they apply for a job and the HR department checks them out in social networking sites. Their antics could make employers think twice about hiring them.
In the creation of content (whether it’s book, blog post, podcast or simple tweet), I often don’t just think about who will read it, but most important, how it’ll be perceived long after I’m gone. I think about the kind of digital footprint I’d leave behind long after I’ve departed from this decaying planet and gone into the joyful presence of Jesus. Before anything gets published, I ask myself two questions:
1. Will this content stand the test of time?
2. Will my children (and their children) be proud of their father (or grandfather) when they look at this?
This is why I don’t use bad language, why I refuse to attack individuals or badmouth brands, and why I don’t accuse or slander against businesses and companies. I’m not so concerned with my reputation, but I’m concerned with the legacy I leave behind.
Think about it – years later, one of your (future) family members may search your archive and get to read what you’ve published. What would they think after reading your posts? Would they be proud of you, or would they be ashamed of you? 
How would you like to be remembered when you’re gone? Remember, you’ll be remembered digitally. God already knows who you really are; someday people may do too, from the archives. Would they marvel at you then, or would they cringe? Make sure you use technology conscientiously and responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment