Thursday 16 March 2017

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Lifeworks
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
All Things New
 
 
 
For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.

--Psalm 84:11


I remember how much it used to bug me as a child when my parents gave me rules to follow, and held me to them. I thought those rules were unfair, and were only meant to keep me from doing fun things. But as I grew older, I came to realize that my dad and mom laid down those rules for my own good.

That’s exactly how it is with our heavenly Father. He sets up boundaries to keep us from hurting ourselves. But more than just that, He also gives us rules so that we can have the freedom to run within those safe boundaries.

Would you let your child run across a busy street? I know you wouldn’t. And I’m also sure that your child doesn’t always understand what’s wrong with that. When a parent gives this rule to a child, are they trying to control and frustrate the child? Of course not; they are trying to do what’s best to protect their child.

We need to remember that when we disobey God and “run into the street,” we are not only rejecting His authority, we are putting ourselves in harm’s way. God’s commandments and instructions are not there to constrain us, but to free us from the worry of harm or danger.

Make up your mind today to follow God’s instructions in His Word, knowing that they aren’t there to trap you, but to set you free!


When we disobey God, we not only reject his authority—we put ourselves in harm’s way.

Consistency in Prayer

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.”
Ephesians 6:18–20

Corrie ten Boom once asked this question: “Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?” Prayer is meant to be a constant, ongoing, continual part of our lives day after day, yet too often we relegate it to a last resort that we only turn to once everything else has failed. Though it is certainly right and proper to cry out to God in moments of crisis and trouble, prayer should simply be an extension of the normal practice and pattern of our lives.
The instruction of Jesus that we are to pray for daily bread indicates the normal nature of consistent praying. We are to pray about the simple and basic things of life just as we should about the major issues. Just as our muscles grow through continued exercise, our faith and our praying is strengthened through repetition. Day after day as we go to God in prayer, we are building the strength of character and belief that will see us through the hard times when they come.
There are no men and women with powerful prayer lives who only pray in crisis. We are to be always praying. In addition to being required for obedience, this habit of prayer supports us in those moments when we have no place to turn except to God. The Christian with a strong prayer life, developed over time through daily prayer, is equipped to handle the difficult times. Daniel did not suddenly start praying when the law was passed forbidding it. Instead, he simply continued his habit of praying throughout the day.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
Daily, consistent prayer is the basic foundational bedrock of the successful Christian life.

No comments:

Post a Comment