Sunday 5 March 2017

Trouble without Worry

Trouble without Worry

by Dr. Paul Chappell
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
2 Corinthians 12:8–10

Sometimes we think that if only our troubles would go away, we would be free from worry. Yet in reality, trouble is a normal part of life in a fallen world, and often the troubles we experience are given and guided by God as a necessary part of our spiritual growth. Hudson Taylor did a great work for God as a missionary in China, reaching tens of thousands with the gospel and challenging Christians around the world to do more for the cause of Christ. But his life was filled with difficulty and opposition. Rather than worrying, Taylor resolved to trust God in every situation.
Taylor wrote, “I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize the Lord is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no matter where He places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest positions He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult, His grace is sufficient.”
Nothing that happens to us takes God by surprise or causes Him to have to revise His plans for us. He has perfect knowledge of what is coming, and we can safely trust in His love and goodness to care for us no matter what comes. Most spiritual growth occurs in times of testing and trouble, so rather than worrying when there is trouble, we should look to God’s grace and rest in His care.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
It is not abundant trouble but insufficient faith that causes us to live with constant worry.

Self-Control

by Joyce Meyer - posted March 04, 2017

And in [exercising] knowledge [develop] self-control, and in [exercising] self-control [develop] steadfastness (patience, endurance), and in [exercising] steadfastness [develop] godliness (piety).
—2 Peter 1:6


As believers in Jesus Christ, God has given us a new nature, but at the same time, we also have to deal with the old nature. When we allow the old nature to rule, we will follow our feelings instead of operating in self-control. Self-control is a fruit of our new nature, and all we need to do is develop it. We can develop self-control by using it, just as we can develop muscles by using them.
Exercising self-control is a form of freedom. You don't have to do what you feel like doing. You're free to do what you know is wise. Discipline and self-control will help you be the person you want to be. Don't ever say, "I just don't have any self-control," because the truth is that you do have it, but it needs to be exercised in order to be strong.

Power Thought: I exercise self-control.


No comments:

Post a Comment