Thursday 29 June 2017

True joy

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Dare to Believe
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Choices
 
 
 
And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.

 --1 John 1:4


When the Apostle John wrote this letter so long ago, he was very concerned that we experience the reality of Jesus Christ in our lives and the joy that He gives.

He was concerned because he knew from experience the many tricks and lies the devil uses to steal our joy.  As he wrote in John 10:10, “The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy.  I have come that you might have life, and have it to the full.”(check verse)

One of the lies the devil tells us that joy equals happiness. And our culture tells us that “being happy” is one of the loftiest achievements in life. But really, happiness is dependent on our circumstances…and circumstances change so much that it’s impossible to depend on them to ever make us happy!

True joy…that inner happiness…only comes from knowing Jesus Christ.

So today I want to ask you, are you experiencing the joy that comes from an intimate relationship with the Lord? Or are you letting the circumstances of life steal that joy?

I’m confident that the more you focus on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2)—and not all the negative stuff going on around you—the deeper and more real your joy in Christ will be!

True joy only comes from knowing Jesus Christ.

Faithful in Life and Death

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”
2 Timothy 2:6–8

One of the first leaders of the Reformation in Scotland, George Wishart, was known for his powerful preaching and reliance on the Word of God rather than the tradition of the established church. Once, a member of the congregation where he was preaching stood up and demanded that Wishart stop troubling the town. Wishart responded, “God is my witness, that I never minded your trouble but your comfort; yea, your trouble is more grievous to me than it is to yourselves. I have offered you the Word of salvation. With the hazard of my life I have remained among you; now you yourselves refuse me; and I must leave my innocence to be declared by my God.” Wishart was executed as a heretic, but the truth for which he gave his life could not be silenced by his murder.
The tests of faith that most of us have experienced have not been so severe as to threaten us with death for our beliefs. But whether they are large or small, the tests can only be passed by those who love God above all else. When we view Him rightly as worthy of any sacrifice and the owner of all we have and our very lives, we will not shrink from obeying Him regardless of the cost. The measure of our love for God is clearly seen in the measure of the faith we exercise during the difficult times of life.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
When we love God and desire to obey Him more than we desire ease and comfort, we will make a difference for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment