Thursday 3 August 2017

Application

Application
written by Meg

Being in the construction firm for more than 10 years, my current job teaches me a lot. I observed that the way people react to certain change varies and one of the factors that differ from one another is ATTITUDE.

One test I recently done is to improve the reporting system which I believe it is more simple, substantial and informative. The concept of ‘less is more’ in architecture is also relevant on how we present data that becomes information which oftentimes use in decision making by higher management.

So to speak, as I presented the idea to the 3 Area Heads, I was a bit surprise that they indeed have different reactions considering I made the same approach in dealing with them. Here’s what I can say; Area Head X is somehow seems to be willing and approving. Not much comments yet a bit hesitant if his Team can adapt it well as they have only a week preparation prior to reporting. On the other hand, Area Head Y as observed is quite a bit pessimistic, why? Because he perceived that his Team cannot make it, lazy enough not to make it. The truth of the matter is somewhat true. Perhaps because he knows well his own people – they are resistant to change. Lastly, I laid my proposal to Area Head Z and guess what? As if I am defending a thesis with less explanation yet easily understand. My question is, do we have the same kind of thinking and mindset? Probably yes.

Among the three, I have a good, challenging yet healthy conversation with Area Head Z. I believe it boils down to attitude. People is open to change if their minds are also open. They are most likely transparent and more logical.

I realized that this also affects how they lead people and the way they manage their personal life and family. I would say among the three, Area Head Z is the most successful in raising and managing his own kids. I have known him as a proud dad to 2 daughters and a son. One was a graduate of accounting and currently working in one of the prestigious banks in the Philippines, so much to speak she wants also to take up law for further studies. His other daughter was a graduate of pre-med and currently pursuing doctorate in 2nd year level while his son was a graduate of information technology and also currently working.

On the other hand, let me share with you my further observations. We have 13 projects; 6 of them were completely done this year but another three big projects are still coming along. Since I am doing site visit more often, I can say that some of the Project-in-charge or PICs are mirroring the attitude of their Area Head. Significantly, those who are NOT have also their own attitude that I can say differ from their Area Head. In other words, influence can have a great impact but above all, it is the mind set of each individual that matters most whether they will follow the style or approach of their respective leaders or not.

Lastly, I realize that our mind set can be as the same and also not with the one we are dealing with. Whether we like it or not, it is normal. That’s life and we have to accept it. The more we deal with difficult people, the better opportunity for us to grow. Will you be challenged if you have the same mind set with others most of the time? Will you be able to think deeper, comprehend wiser if people have all things in common? Will you appreciate the good more than the bad if you don’t know the difference? Indeed, am just being grateful because this is what life taught me a lot. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment