Monday 25 September 2017

Hearing the Voice of the Shepherd

Hearing the Voice of the Shepherd

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.”
John 10:13–16

Recently, I saw a survey that measured the effectiveness of the marketing for the Coca Cola company. According to their estimates, 91 percent of the world’s population has heard of Coke. Three quarters have seen Coke, and 51 percent, have tasted it for themselves. That is an impressive level of market penetration. By contrast, a recent missionary survey estimated that only 10 percent of the world’s 7.5 billion people have heard a clear presentation of the gospel even once. And this is not just a problem in other nations. The latest Gallup survey in America found that a full third of those under the age of 35 are “nones,” having no religious interest or affiliation.
The only way they will hear is if someone tells them. Jesus is no longer in this world, so if people are to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd, then they must hear it from us. The church needs a renewed sense of responsibility and urgency about reaching the lost. The fact that marketers, advertisers, and brand managers are more committed to selling products and making money than Christians are to obeying God and reaching the lost should break our hearts and encourage us to change our ways. The Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Corinth, “Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame” (1 Corinthians 15:34).
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
We are the messengers God has chosen to take the good news of salvation to the lost before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment