Friday 3 November 2017

Be an Encourager

Be an Encourager

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain: But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me. The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.”
2 Timothy 1:16–18

On his first preaching trip to England, D. L. Moody had an encounter with a British preacher named Henry Varley that changed the course of his life. Years later, now as the best known evangelist in the world, Moody returned to England and asked to meet with Varley to thank him for the impact of their brief meeting. Varley later wrote: “Mr. Moody asked me to join him in the vestry of the Baptist Church. We were alone, and he recalled the night’s meeting at Willow Park and our converse the following morning. ‘Do you remember your words?’ he said. I replied, ‘I well remember our interview, but I do not recall any special utterance.’”
Varley had said to Moody, “The world has yet to see what God will do with a man fully consecrated to Him.” Though he didn’t recall the words, they made a dramatic impact. Moody said, “Those were the words sent to my soul, through you, from the living God. As I crossed the wide Atlantic, the boards of the deck of the vessel were engraved with them, and when I reached Chicago, the very paving stones seemed marked with [them]. I felt that I must not let more time pass until I let you know how God had used your words to my inmost soul.” Few people have heard of Henry Varley, but his words of encouragement and challenge sparked a mighty movement of God. We have the opportunity to encourage others every day—and we should do it.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
The power of our words to help and encourage others in their Christian lives is a mighty responsibility.

PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Songs of Encouragement
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Songs of Encouragement
 
 
 
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind….

—Romans 12:2

One of the great challenges of faith is to let it touch and transform our everyday lives. You might think that goal would be obvious, but I’m not so sure.

There are some interesting correlations between patterns in the natural world and the spiritual. Just think about this. As you know, I’m a big fan of the Olympics and every couple of years we watch triumphant champions stand on platforms to receive their medals.

But have you ever noticed what happens to some of these champions after basking in the glory of that moment? For some it’s the beginning of a life of success. But unfortunately, some athletes are unable to translate the discipline of their athletic careers into a daily way of life.

The same could be said of some professional baseball and football players, and of even one of America’s great astronauts who walked on the moon. This man scaled the heights of human glory but was never able to translate what he knew to a daily way of life.

So let me ask you a question. Are you taking what you know about faith in Christ Jesus and letting it transform how you live every day? You must!

Let Jesus help you get real regarding your faith. Take it from the mountaintop of worship and apply it to the challenges of life around you.

ARE YOU CONNECTING WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR FAITH
IN CHRIST TO HOW YOU LIVE EVERY DAY?


No comments:

Post a Comment