Friday 12 October 2018

God’s Sufficient Grace


PowerPoint Today - Daily Devotional with Pastor Jack Graham
 
CURRENT RADIO SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Epic Adventure
 
CURRENT TV SERIESPlay Today's Broadcast
Lifeworks
 
 
 
Battle of the Sexes

“Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as to the Lord.”

—Ephesians 5:22

I suppose there are some today who would love just to take their scissors and cut this verse right out of the Bible, but it's important for us to remember that submission is not merely for wives. Submission is for Christians, and the principle of reciprocal submission is introduced in this passage.  Paul is dealing with the spirit-filled life.

The way that husbands are to express this submissive spirit is by living for their wives in sacrificial love, and to live according to the Biblical pattern of loving their wives even as Christ has loved the church.

It's been my experience through the years and my observation that when a man will truly be God's man... truly love his wife as Christ loved the church in sacrificial love and steadfast loyalty, then a Christian wife is more than glad to respond graciously and submissively to the loving leadership of her husband.

It begins with mutual submission. It begins with this attitude... this submissiveness that reflects in the commitment of the husband to the wife, the unconditional, loving commitment.

And even as Christ submitted to the will of the Father and submitted His life to give His life as a ransom for many, even we as believers are to live with that same attitude of submission.

My wife is not only my wife, she is my sister in Christ.  We share a common love and we share a common life in Christ.  And we have joined together in that life.
 
WE ARE ALL EQUAL IN JESUS CHRIST.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

God’s Sufficient Grace

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”
2 Corinthians 12:7–9
Frederick Booth-Tucker, son-in-law of the founder of the Salvation Army, was a powerful preacher, but not everyone responded to his message. After preaching a sermon on God’s grace in Chicago, a man came to Booth-Tucker and told him that if he had experienced the same kind of losses the man had, he would not continue preaching. A few days later, his wife, Emma, was killed in a train accident while on her way to join her husband. The funeral was held at the Salvation Army headquarters in Chicago.
After all the other speakers were finished, Frederick Booth-Tucker rose and said, “The other day when I was here, a man said, I could not say Christ was sufficient, if my wife were dead, and my children were crying for their mother. My heart is all broken, my heart is all crushed, my heart is all bleeding, but there is a song in my heart and Christ put it there; and if that man is here, I tell him that, though my wife is gone and my children are motherless, Christ comforts me today.”
There are moments of great trial in every life, but there is never a moment for which God’s grace is not provided. Our task is to accept that grace in faith and patience, trusting God to work all things according to His purpose in and through us.
Today’s Growth Principle: 
No matter the loss or sorrow we face, or the burdens we bear, God’s grace is always sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment