Monday 22 October 2018

Playing it Safe?

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Playing it Safe?

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“If the clouds be full of rain, they empty themselves upon the earth: and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be. He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.”
Ecclesiastes 11:3–4
I read this story that illustrates the way some people approach life. A neighbor came by a nearby farm and asked the farmer, “How is the corn crop this year?” “Well,” he said, “I didn’t plant no corn. I was afraid of the drought.” “Well how’s your cotton crop this year?” The farmer replied, “I never planted any cotton this year. I was afraid of the boll weevil.” The neighbor tried again, “How is your wheat crop this year?” “Well, I didn’t plant no wheat—I was afraid of the blight.” The neighbor asked one more time, “How’s your potato crop this year?” The farmer said, “I didn’t plant no taters, because I was afraid of the tater bug.” Then he added, “Friend, to tell you the truth, I didn’t plant nothing this year because I was playing it safe.”
There will always be reasons and excuses available for those who are looking for them, but those who allow fear to prevail will never accomplish anything of real value. Instead, we have to accept the risks and dangers that come with making an effort to move ahead. God takes a very dim view of those who bury what they have because of fear or laziness rather than taking a risk to produce a reward. “And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine. His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed”(Matthew 25:25–26).
Today’s Growth Principle: 
Rather than looking for excuses to delay, take on the tasks in front of you and start in right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment