Sunday 21 October 2018

He Took My Place

Saturday, October 20, 2018

He Took My Place

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love. For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.”
2 Corinthians 8:8–9
On a cold winter day, an elderly man stood by the Tower Bridge in London, playing a violin in hopes that those who passed by would place money in his hat. He played poorly, and no one seemed interested in helping him. After some time had passed, a well-dressed man appeared. He listened to the violin player for a moment and then walked over. Rather than giving the man money, the visitor asked for his violin. He took a few moments to tune it and then began to play.
Now as a stunning melody filled the air, a crowd began to gather. Word began to spread across the city and soon hundreds of people were standing in rapt attention as the beautiful music continued. When he had finished playing, the most famous violinist in the world, Niccolo Paganini, returned the violin to its owner. One person after another came by and dropped coins into the beggar’s hat until it was overflowing. He owed it all to the one who took his place.
I have been saved for many years, but I never want to lose the sense of gratitude and wonder for what Jesus did for me. He owed me nothing, but in love and grace gave me everything. It cost Paganini only a few minutes of time to help the beggar, but it cost Jesus everything to save me. To not be thankful for all I have received is a horrible offense against God. “But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins” (2 Peter 1:9).
Today’s Growth Principle: 
Never forget the miraculous gift of salvation you received because of God’s amazing grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment