Monday 4 July 2016

His Peace, My Responsibility


An Exalted View of Self

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends: But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.”
Luke 15:29–30
It is easy for us to look around and think that we are better than those around us, and not as much in need of God’s grace as they are. But while such proud thoughts are satisfying to our fallen nature, they are not in line with reality. Near the end of one of his best known poems, “To a Louse—On Seeing One on a Lady’s Bonnet at Church,” the Scottish poet Robert Burns wrote:
O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
If we truly saw ourselves as God sees us (for while we may deceive others He always knows not only our actions but our thoughts), we would abandon any pretense of pride.
The problem we have is that rather than measuring ourselves against the standard of God’s perfect holiness, we look to those around us and measure ourselves against them. It is easy to find areas in which we are superior (or at least can convince ourselves we are) and focus on those. The problem with this approach is that it is flawed and foolish. “For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise” (2 Corinthians 10:12). Instead of thinking that we are better than others by looking horizontally, we need to look up and realize that we are just as much in need of God’s grace and mercy as those around us.
Today’s Growth Principle: 
Having a high view of ourselves keeps us from having a proper view of God.


His Peace, My Responsibility

by Joyce Meyer - posted July 03, 2016

Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.] —John 14:27
Perhaps you have never thought about how important it is to manage your emotions. I imagine we all think, I can’t help how I act when I am having a hard time. That is a normal human reaction, but with God on your side helping you, you don't have to behave the way a “normal” person would.
It is obvious from Jesus’ words in John 14:27 that He desires for you to have wonderful peace, but please notice He is also giving you a responsibility. He wants you to choose to control the negative emotions that can steal your peace. You cannot always control your circumstances, but you can control yourself with God's help.
Power Thought: God has given me His peace, and I will walk in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment