Monday 18 June 2018

A Father’s Heart

A Father’s Heart

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt. As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images. I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them.”
Hosea 11:1–3

Evangelist D. L. Moody told the story of an interaction he had with his young daughter, Emma. She had been asking for a new muff to keep her hands warm in the winter, and one day her mother brought one home for her. Even though it was cold and snowing, she wanted to go out right away and try it. Moody said, “I went out with her, and I said, ‘Emma, better let me take your hand.’ She wanted to keep her hands in her muff, and so she refused to take my hand. Well, by and by she came to an icy place, her little feet slipped, and down she went.
“When I helped her up she said, ‘Papa, you may give me your little finger.’ ‘No, my daughter, just take my hand.’ ‘No, no, Papa, give me your little finger.’ Well, I gave my finger to her, and for a little way she got along nicely, but pretty soon we came to another icy place, and again she fell. This time she hurt herself a little, and she said, ‘Papa, give me your hand,’ and I gave her my hand, and closed my fingers about her wrist, and held her up so that she could not fall.”
God takes great delight in His children. He teaches us and invests in us and protects us. Earthly fathers fail us, but even in those situations, our Heavenly father holds us. “When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up” (Psalm 27:10). We can always trust the heart of our Heavenly Father.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
A loving earthly father is a great blessing, but all Christians have a loving and perfect Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment