Sunday 17 June 2018

The Priority of Wisdom

The Priority of Wisdom

by Dr. Paul Chappell
“For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law. For I was my father’s son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live. Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.”
Proverbs 4:2–5

When Nebuchadnezzar had his dream of a great statue made of different materials that foretold the future empires of history, he recognized that it was important. But when he awoke he could no longer remember what his dream had been. When his wise men could not recall his dream for him, despite the fact that his demand was unrealistic and unfair, he ordered them to be put to death. Because Daniel and his three friends were among that group, they also faced death. As all of us should do in times of trouble, they turned to prayer.
Daniel’s prayer was answered. God not only revealed the king’s dream to him, but also told him what it meant. His life was spared by the grateful king. There is a wonderful reminder to us in Daniel’s prayer regarding wisdom. “Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:” (Daniel 2:20–21)
Too often God’s people do not live with wisdom because they do not turn to God to get it. We do not become wise by being more educated. There is a vast difference between knowledge and wisdom. Someone said, “Knowledge is recognizing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.” God’s wisdom enables us to live according to the precepts of His Word.
 
Today’s Growth Principle: 
We must make wisdom a priority in our lives and seek it from God if we are to please Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment