Tuesday 18 December 2012

When God Gives


by Meg

Last Sunday, I was assigned to teach the kids. It was a happy day to be with them again (Jayden, Ryan, Shane and Kristen). Since our story was about ‘The Wise Men’ who gave to Jesus different gifts, I let them draw something they wanted to receive this Christmas. The three little boys loved to draw Mc Queen. What caught my attention was Kristen. I thought she will like barbie dolls, new clothes or even a set of kitchen utensils. But it’s not. Actually, we have the same ‘like’… flowers.

Since she was the eldest among the four, she was able to draw a beautiful flower. Actually it’s like a sunflower and I praised her for a job well done. The happiness and smile I have seen on her face answering my question ‘what do you want this Christmas, Kristen?’ made me happy as well as she excitedly said ‘flower!’ This simply reminded me of a short story regarding a bouquet of lovely red roses.

Three years ago in Dubai, it was ‘tea time’ and I was about to refill my empty tumbler. On my way to pantry, I got my attention to a bouquet of lovely red roses. As I came to appreciate it, the woman who received the flowers asked me ‘you like it?’ I honestly said ‘of course, it’s really beautiful!’ Then she told me, ‘if you want it, take it now.’ I said to her ‘are you serious?’ she nodded, ‘yes, I am. I’m not kidding.’ I replied ‘but why?’ she added ‘it’s because someone (Supplier) gave that to me and I can’t accept it. I’m married.’ To my surprise, she was really serious then to give it to me. I did not know who the Supplier was but I would be feeling so upset if those lovely roses be thrown or trampled into an empty trash can. So happily I received it as I gave my warmest appreciation to her.

On my way home, as I gazed upon the lovely roses I had in my hands; one thing came across my mind, it was God who gave that to me. It was a post birthday gift. A special gift considering that God knew what I liked. He sent it to me so creatively through the people that I haven’t known. God used people the way He wanted to. The woman I met and I came to know was from the different department and eventually after that week she was moved to Palm Deira Station, one of the many stations and our offices in Dubai. Until now, I did not know who the generous Supplier was, but one thing was for sure, it was God who gave that to me so specially and unexpectedly --- a twenty-five lovely red roses. Wow!

Believing that our God is a generous god means there’s something that we can hold on to. He can provide the desires of our heart in due time, in His own time. Let us be reminded in James 1:17 it says that… ‘Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.=)



No comments:

Post a Comment