Thursday 13 December 2012

Why Meg?



Most of my friends called me Badette, Bernadette, Berna, Dette or even Bernaditta. My name Meg was established in 2008 (not in the Philippines but in Dubai) because of my Japanese boss by the name Hontaro Nagamasa-san. He can’t pronounce my name clearly so to meet both ends I suggested him to call me ‘Meg’ (from the 1st letter and 2 last letters of my surname).

Since then, Meg-san was established. In the same way, I came to learn that Meg as a girl's name was coined from and a short form of Margaret (greek) means "pearl". =)

Nota Bene: The Japanese language uses a broad array of honorific suffixes for addressing or referring to people. These honorifics are gender-neutral (can be used for males and females), though some are more used for men or women (-kun is primarily used for males, while -chan is primarily used for women) and can be attached to first names as well as surnames. Using an honorific is generally required when referring to someone. The word San stands for Mr. or Ms. You would use this word after the person's last name as a sign of respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment