Thursday 21 November 2013

From Russia with Love


No Longer Orphaned, Dima's Dream is to Reach His People

(Every Nation Europe)


As a boy, I tried unsuccessfully to answer many questions: Why do I live in an orphanage? Where are my parents? Why was I born?
Sometimes, when I reflected on my orphaned life, I would break down in tears. I dreamed of living in the comfort of a family with a father and mother. As days passed within the noisy orphanage walls, I wanted to find my family, but all I knew was that I was born in Zhitomir, Ukraine. I had never even seen my mother. Then, in the fifth grade I found out that she was from the Republic of Bashkortostan in Russia, where the predominantly Muslim Bashkir and Tatar people live.
The years passed and, convinced I needed a college education to do well in life, I went to technical college to study carpentry (even though it was not my passion). Soon, I began going down the wrong path. I tried to be like the cool guys by drinking and using marijuana and quickly suffered the consequences. I finally flunked out during my last semester. After flunking college, I wanted to start a new life and had a renewed interest in finding my relatives. I contacted a journalist who helped orphans find their parents, and with the help of the television program, “Wait for Me,” the search for my relatives was successful. Eventually, I received a letter from my relatives in Ufa, Bashkortostan, with an invitation to visit. I hit the road in 2001 to meet my mother and her family in Ufa.
I was apprehensive; I didn’t know what kind of surprise awaited me at the final train station. Instead of a crowd greeting me, a man touched my shoulder and introduced himself with a joyful smile, “I am your brother, Dmitry Shafikov.” In confusion, I replied, “I am Dmitry Shafikov!” It turned out that he was my older brother by the same name. Like me, he grew up in boarding school and searched for his relatives. In fact, only a few days before, he arrived from Tatarstan and met our relatives.
When I arrived, my family welcomed me with open arms despite the fact that none of them were aware of my existence a few weeks before my visit. They told me about the Bashkir traditions and culture, and I finally learned the story of what happened to my mother. My grandmother died young, and my grandfather, unable to cope with a large family, gave three of his six children to the orphanage, including my mom.  She too grew up in an orphanage and didn’t return home until adulthood. Then, soon after she married, she became pregnant with my brother. However, her husband went to jail soon afterward, and her father kicked her out of the house. With nowhere to go, she left the baby in Russia. After that, no one knew what happened.
My relatives asked me to stay with them in Russia, but I returned to Ukraine. Back in the Ukraine, I met some students living in my hostel who were believers. I loved spending time with them and listening to their stories about Jesus Christ. They told me that Jesus loved me and wanted to forgive my sins. When I was with them I felt like I belonged and my soul became lighter. But I was in no hurry to go to their church. I was afraid, thinking it was some kind of cult.
Nevertheless, on December 14, 2003, I went to church and repented. Soon though, I was lured back into my old life of drinking. I thought to myself, “I could get drunk just once and never do it again.” I was still uncommitted to Christ in the beginning, but then everything changed in a moment. While camping with friends, I woke up covered in bruises and burns with no memory of what happened. A friend said, “The way you fell yesterday, it’s a miracle you are alive!” In fear of death, I grabbed my Bible, fell to my knees, and begged God for mercy. Then, I ran to my spiritual mentor and said, “Pray for me!”
After that moment, my life changed dramatically. I began to pray, to understand God’s Word, and to tell friends about Him. I concluded that in order to change, we must give ourselves completely to God. Our Heavenly Father raises us up when we fall. My life is an example. He adopted me, took me into His home, and became my Father. The Lord began to fill the emptiness of my heart, and I learned to accept His love and grace.
Although I gained a family in Christ, my Muslim relatives remain strangers. I still pray for their salvation. Meanwhile, I minister to students,  homeless members of my community, and  the youth in my former orphanage. Through Christ, I have a family beyond what I dreamed.

Dmitry Shafikov is a member of the Every Nation church, Love and Healing, in Ternopil, Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment